Search This Blog

Join the adventure

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shapes, Shapes Everywhere and Not a Bite to Eat

My copy of Debbie Diller's Math Stations came yesterday. I was so excited when I say the UPS truck leaving my street. I wanted to share this activity to go with Chapter 7. During our unit on three-dimensional shapes, we made models using foam shapes, marshmallows, and toothpicks. Several years ago, I tried the activity with coffee stirrers and pipe cleaners. The children had trouble forming the shapes. So I adapted the idea to make it edible. Hope you try it this year with your mathematicians. You can link up with Chapter 7 here.


Photobucket
Rectangular Prism - check out his design using  supporting toothpicks
Photobucket
Triangular Pyramid
Photobucket
Another triangular pyramid -  I was impressed with her engineering skills. She laid out each face then smushed the marshmallows together at the top to join them.

1 comment:

  1. I love the shapes! What fun for the kids, and it doesn't look to difficult. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete